I have a confession to make. These Vegan Cinnamon Scone Breakfast Cookies were supposed to be scones. Not cookies.
But well, the scones turned out very flat. And as you can see, they look nothing like a scone!
However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I decided that these failed scones look like delicious, thick cookies!
These yummy, soft cookies have a rich, buttery taste with a delicate cinnamon flavor. Perfect for breakfast, in my opinion! All that’s needed here is a hot cup of coffee!
Don’t you just love it when mistakes turn into something great?
This recipe has a secret ingredient that gives an added flavor dimension to the cookies.
My kids would have loved to call these, ‘Vegan Cinnamon Scone Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Snack Cookies’, but we tried to limit them to ‘breakfast’ and mabye ‘snack’ cookies! 🙂 They absolutely LOVE them, and asked for them constantly until they were gone.
Oh and did I mention that I made these with organic spelt flour? (That’s not the secret ingredient.) I’ve recently fallen in love with this ancient grain. It has a lower glycemic index and higher protein content than wheat flour. Also (and more importantly) it tastes SO GOOD!
So go make these cookies! They’re worth it, I promise!
- 2 and 1/2 cups organic spelt flour
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (I use aluminum free)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup dairy-free butter (Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup orange juice (or dairy-free milk would work too)
- 1 Tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- Combine dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add butter and cut into flour mixture until pea-sized crumbs form.
- Add juice (or milk) and vinegar. Mix gently to combine.
- Roll out onto floured surface to 1/4 in. thick.
- Cut into triangles and bake on cookie sheet at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle with icing when cooled.