Here’s a beautiful way to use your seasonal blueberries, cucumbers, and sweet onions! This Sweet & Tangy Cucumber Blueberry Salad has a sweet and sour dressing that enhances the flavors of this delightful combo of fresh, seasonal, veggies and fruit! The toasted almonds add flavorful crunch, as well as protein and healthy fats to help your body absorb all those minerals and vitamins from the fresh produce.
Not to brag, but the flavor combo in this salad is so yummy, I had to restrain myself from gobbling up the entire bowl before we sat down to dinner!
Oh, and if you don’t have blueberries, you can use melon chunks instead.
1/2 sweet onion
1 small pckg. blueberries (@ 1 and 1/2 cups)
1/4 c. white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
1/4 c. local honey or agave
2 T. local olive oil
1/8 t. salt
1/2 c. whole, raw almonds
1. Peel cucumbers, cut in half or quarters lengthwise, and slice thinly.
2. Thinly slice onions into quarter rounds.
3. Toss together the cucumbers, onions, and blueberries.
4. In a separate bowl, combine vinegar, sugar, salt, and oil. Whisk.
5. Place almonds on cookie sheet and bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 5 minutes. Allow to cool and then chop.
6. Combine the dressing with the cukes, onions, and blueberries and toss gently to coat.
7. Allow to sit for 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
8. Serve on salad plates and garnish with toasted almonds.