This Slow Cooker Organic Cranberry Sauce was just meant to be! We all know that you only make cranberry sauce when you’re having a large, holiday meal right? And a large holiday meal means you’re probably cooking several dishes. . .
If you’re like me, you like to do as much as you can ahead of time, since there are always so many last-minute details just before serving the big meal.
Unfortunately for me, cranberry sauce often ends up being one of those last minute tasks. It is one of those holiday dishes that I consider essential but always sort of gets ignored because it’s so easy to make! But here’s the thing, it’s easy, but when you’re running around trying to get a big meal on, it’s still one more thing to do! Standing over the hot stove, stirring the cranberry sauce for 20 minutes so that it doesn’t burn, is the last thing I feel like doing when I’m in a hurry.
Enter, slow cooker.
The beauty of this dish is that you can make it WAY in advance and put it in the fridge! So anytime before the big meal, throw in a bag of organic cranberries, a cup or water, and a cup of organic sugar and set the slow cooker to cook on low for 5-6 hours.
After it’s cooled, transfer it to a container and voila- Slow Cooker Organic Cranberry Sauce- DONE! I transferred my sauce to a small plastic bowl, covered it, and kept it in the fridge for a couple weeks. When I was ready to serve, I dipped the container in warm water for a few minutes, flipped the container upside down to release the sauce onto a serving dish. It will mold to the shape of the plastic container it is stored in, so choose your container wisely! 🙂
- 12 oz. bag organic cranberries
- 1 c. organic sugar
- 1 c. water
- Rinse cranberries and place all ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hrs.
- Allow to cool before serving.
- To mold the cranberry sauce, transfer cooled cranberry mixture to a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 24 hours (or more-I saved mine for 2 weeks!). Just before serving, dip bowl in warm water, invert bowl onto a plate or shallow bowl, and lift to release the sauce.