This week, I’m excited to be starting a new post series of Real Food On the Go Make Ahead Fast Food Fakeouts!
Since our Monday evenings recently upgraded from ‘very busy’ to ‘crazy’, I’ve had to come up with creative and healthy dinners that we can eat in the car. With my second daughter starting piano lessons this month, we leave right after school and get home around 6:45 p.m. If you’re a mom, you know this means you have three options;
- Stop at a drive-thru and get a fast-food dinner on the way home.
- Deal with hungry kids in the car all the way home during rush hour, get home and then rush through dinner, baths, and homework at a frantic pace.
- Pack a real food dinner in the car to eat on the way home.
Option ‘2’ anyone?? And while we eat at McDonald’s once in a while, I definitely don’t savor (no pun intended) the idea of McDonald’s for dinner EVERY MONDAY. As far as car food goes, there are plenty of options for healthy, sweet car snacks (fresh fruit, granola bars, trail mixes, etc. . . ) But in my family, we always crave protein and salt when we’re in the car. And since one of my daughters can’s eat dairy or eggs, this really limits our options for protein-packed on-the-go meals!
Every Tuesday, I will post a dairy/egg- free, real food on the go fast food fakeout dinner idea that we loved. And by ‘love’, I mean it is
- easy to make ahead of time
- easy to pack in the car
- easy to eat in the car
- something I (and not just the kids) actually want to eat! 🙂
These Dairy Free Pepperoni Pizzas (aka Pizza Hut/Taco Bell drive-thru) fit the bill! They are super easy to make, and they taste fantastic! I don’t even mind eating them without cheese; they’re that good!
They don’t need to be heated, because they taste great even at room temperature. I bake them, allow them to cool, and then slip them into sandwich sized ziploc baggies (it’s a perfect fit!).
8 fajita sized flour tortillas (I buy these pre-made, but if you’re really ambitious, try this homemade tortilla recipe from 100 Days of Real Food!)
1/2 pckg. organic pepperoni slices (I buy mine from Greenling)
3/4 c. pizza sauce (I use Crock Pot Organic Spaghetti/Pizza Sauce)
Tip: The tortillas bake up slightly puffy (like in the photos) if they’re at room temperature rather than cold when they’re baked.
- Pour 1 T. olive oil onto each baking sheet.
- Place tortillas on pan and smear around on the olive oil. (Great job for the kids!) Flip the tortillas over and repeat so that both sides of the tortilla are generously coated with olive oil.
- Spread 1 and 1/2 T. pizza sauce on each tortilla. Add pepperoni slices.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Check back next Tuesday to see another Real Food On The Go Make Ahead Fast Food Fakeouts recipe!