This is only the second Christmas since I’ve had kids, that I’ve actually pulled off making and decorating Christmas cookies. Sad, I know. But what can I say; life is busy– esPECIALLY around Christmastime.
My google search for vegan Christmas cookie recipes was disappointing since all of the recipes called for some type of egg replacers. Using applesauce, pumpkin, or banana works but I don’t like the texture that it gives cookies.
Flax eggs– been there, done that– too much of a hassle.
Powdered egg replacers– haven’t found that they really do anything at all for baking recipes.
Vinegar/baking soda combo is really the best egg replacement in baking recipes. So I refined my google search to ‘vegan Christmas cookies + vinegar’. To my disappointment, nothing came up!
It was time to make up an easy vegan Christmas cookie recipe using vinegar/baking soda as the egg replacement. Using my Joy of Cooking Sugar Cookie recipe as my guide, I came up with this egg-free, white splelt flour version.
The result– YUM!!
These Out Of This World Vegan Spelt Christmas Cookies are SO YUMMY!! You would never guess that they are egg-free and dairy-free!
Disclaimer; I decided to let go of my OCD tendencies and allow my kids to cut out and frost ALL THE COOKIES! So these cookies are far from perfect-looking.
This one-bowl recipe is also super easy to make! There are two secrets to the deliciousness of these vegan delights– LOTS of vanilla extract and ZERO baking powder.
Oh, plus there’s one other secret to this recipe’s success– VINEGAR baby! Well, actually vinegar ‘mother’.
Bragg’s raw organic apple cider vinegar (with the mother) works with the baking soda in this recipe to create the perfect amount of leavening for these Out Of This World Vegan Spelt Christmas Cookies. Plus, baking soda/vinegar combo is much more flavorful than a classic baking powder cookie recipe.
So there ya go- three ‘secrets’ to these easy and delicious egg-free, dairy-free, organic Out Of This World Vegan Spelt Christmas Cookies.
- 1 cup Earth Balance buttery spread
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 3 Tablespoons vanilla extract (yes, three)
- 3 cups white spelt flour
- 1 and ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon raw organic apple cider vinegar
- Beat Earth Balance, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add vinegar.
- Can be baked immediately as drop cookies.
- For shaped cookies, divide dough into two balls, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- To shape, place on floured surface and press gently with hands to flatten to ¼ inch thick. DO NOT roll out with rolling pin!
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes.