These Organic Grilled Sunflower Seed Butter And Chocolate Sandwiches are a staple in our house. Well, a staple for the kids anyway. 🙂
It’s my go-to meal for those evenings when hubs and I plan to have a ‘treat’ dinner later after the kids are in bed. Feeding my kids melted chocolate sandwiches goes a long way to relieving any guilt I might feel for eating treats after my kids are in bed.
Just kidding, I really don’t feel any guilt at all.
These yummy sandwiches are also a regular in our school lunch rotation. I make them in the morning and wrap them in foil.
No, they don’t stay warm. And no, they don’t become soggy (since I let them cool before wrapping).
My oldest daughter actually prefers her Organic Grilled Sunflower Seed Butter And Chocolate Sandwiches ;The Cold School Lunch Edition since she loves it when the chocolate hardens.
Oh, and these bad boys are also the kids’ current Sunday dinner. We’ve upgraded from Sunday Oatmeal.
Admit it, you wish you could be a kid in our family. . .
These sandwiches are super easy to make, and of course they were inspired by grilled cheese sandwiches.
It all started one Sunday evening when I thought “Man, I sure wish I could just whip up some yummy grilled cheese sandwiches for the kids. Guess I’ll just make them sunbutter and jelly sandwiches. Wait, why not make GRILLED sunbutter and jelly sandwiches?”
This recipe has evolved from grilled sunflower seed butter and jelly sandwiches to SUNFLOWER SEED BUTTER and CHOCOLATE sandwiches.
There’s no going back.
You might not even need this recipe, since sandwiches are pretty self-explanatory. But just in case, here it is. . .
- 6 slices organic bread
- 6 Tablespoons organic sunflower seed butter
- 3 Tabespoons organic chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons Earth Balance buttery spread
- Melt half the Earth Balance in a heavy skillet.
- While Earth Balance is melting, spread 1 Tablespoon sunflower seed butter on each slice of bread.
- Place 3 slices of bread in the skillet.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips onto the bread.
- Place 'top' slice of bread on each sandwich.
- Spread remaining Earth Balance on each slice of bread.
- Flip sandwiches when lightly browned.
- Optional: Sprinkle one side of sandwich with cinnamon sugar mixture.