This decadent Organic Egg-Free Dairy-Free Chooclate Tapioca Pudding is SO easy! You simply put all the ingredients in a skillet and cook for five minutes until it’s thickened!
You DO have to soak the tapioca pearls in water the night before (or a few hours before cooking).
My kids absolutely LOVE this pudding. I’ve made it with homeade almond milk, which tastes absolutely amazing. But I’ve also used organic rice milk a few times, and my kids don’t even notice the difference! 🙂
You might be shocked to see that I used grass-fed mangalitsa lard in this pudding. It sounds weird and gross to put lard in pudding, right? Well, think of it this way. It’s an animal fat. Normally, we put butter in pudding, and butter comes from cream which comes from cows. Not much different than lard, really.
HAVING SAID THAT, DO NOT use any old lard!!! I only use grass-fed mangalitsa lard purchased from a local, reputable farmer. I know it is healthy and always has a very mild flavor. It adds depth of flavor to any chocolatey dessert. I guess when you think about it, it’s not that different than combining the flavors of bacon and chocolate; chocolate covered bacon, bacon flavored ice cream, etc. . . This lard however, is so mild flavored, it doesn’t even have a bacony taste when mixed into this chocolate pudding.
This recipe is requested pretty much every time one of my girls gets sick (if they can eat). It’s easy to digest, tasty, and since it is made from healthy, organic ingredients it’s a dessert I’m happy to give them!
- ½ cup organic tapioca pearls (or pieces) pre-soaked in 2 cups water
- 2 cups organic almond milk or rice milk
- ¼ organic sugar
- ½ cup organic dairy- free chocolate chips
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- ⅛ t. salt
- ½ t. grass-fed mangalitsa lard
- Soak tapioca pears (or pieces) in 2 cups water overnight or for at least 2 hours prior to cooking.
- Place all ingredients except vanilla extract and lard in a heavy saucepan.
- Heat slowly, stirring constantly, until bubbly.
- Continue stirring over med/low heat until the tapioca pearls become clear (3-5 minutes).
- Add vanilla and lard.
- Serve warm or chilled.