“How did you get these to taste so orangey?” asked one of my girls after tasting these bars.
Fresh-squeezed organic orange juice, raw imported Italian almonds, and organic dried apricots come together to create the ‘orangey’ flavor in these easy No-Bake Organic Orange Apricot Almond Oat Bars.
I buy my organic dried apricots in bulk from Costco (15$ for a big bag that lasts several months in the fridge!), and my organic almonds from Azure Standard. And the oranges- well, those are super easy to find.
Throw the apricots, almonds, and orange juice into a food processor along with some honey to make a tantalizing apricot ‘filling’.
Combine this filling with my handy 4-3-2-1 Granola and Snack Mix (recipe coming soon), press the mixture into a greased pan, and you’re done!
Well, almost. The bars do need to sit overnight to ‘cure’ before cutting and frosting them. But the frosting part is so fool-proof, the kids can do it! In fact, mine did!
My girls were thrilled to frost these No-Bake Organic Orange Apricot Oat Bars all by themselves! Plus it freed me up to go wash the dishes (yippee!).
I’d like to talk about the almonds in this recipe for a sec. . . WHY do I buy raw, organic, imported Italian almonds from Azure Standard? These almonds have an amazing almond’y flavor that I’ve never tasted in any other almonds. This is partly due to the fact that the almonds are not pasteurized. Did you know that all almonds grown in the US, EVEN ORGANIC and RAW, by law have to be pasteurized? In my experience, this seems to affects the flavor of the almonds, making them less, well, ‘almond-y’.
Also, the raw, organic, imported Italian almonds contain a few bitter almonds in the mix. These bitter almonds are terrible for snacking on, but taste amazing when used in baking, cooking, or for almond milk. These are the almonds that actually taste like almond extract!
So yeah, we don’t snack on these almonds. But I love using them for almond milk and for these yummy No-Bake Organic Orange Apricot Almond Oat Bars!
If you’re curious about the almonds, you can read more about them in this older post. . . Organic Almond Milk And Some Fun Facts About Raw Almonds.
- 1 cup organic dried apricots
- ½ cup organic, raw almonds, toasted
- ½ fresh-squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup local honey
- 6 cups 4-3-2-1 Granola Mix OR 2 cups organic oats, 2 cups ground flax seed, 2 cups chia seeds
- Orange Vanilla Glaze
- Combine 2 cups organic confectioner's sugar, 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract, and 1 Tablespoon fresh-squeezed orange juice and mix until smooth.
- Combine dried apricots and orange juice and heat in microwave for 1 minute. Allow apricots to soften for 5-10 minutes.
- Place toasted almonds in a food processor or blender and blend until fine.
- Add apricot/orange juice mixture and honey. Mix well.
- Add Granola Mix or optional dry ingredients.
- Press into an oiled 9x12 inch pan. (Press hard!)
- Allow to 'cure' overnight, and then cut into bars.
- Frost bars by dipping into Orange Vanilla Glaze.