These Mini Cashew Pumpkin Pies With My Mini Me were so much fun to make because we used baked mini pumpkins for the filling!
They were pumpkins that arrived in our CSA this week, and they were actually eatable! How fun is that?! I have two recipe options for the filling; one uses cashews and the other uses flour for thickening. I’ve made it both ways, and both are delicious!
First, we cut the pumpkins in half and scooped out the seeds and guts. My Mini-Me LOVED being able to hold the little pumpkin herself while she scooped out the seeds!
After the seeds and guts were scooped out, we placed the pumpkin halves in a baking dish with 1/4 c. water and baked at 400 until cooked through (soft when poked with a fork).
Then we scooped out the cooked pumpkin and blended it with the other pie filling ingredients. Easy!
We poured the filling into the pie-crust lined muffin tins and baked it!
Making the pie crust was super fun for my Mini-Me! And the Play-Doh rolling pin came in very handy (washed first of course)! 🙂
Looks don’t matter here- we’re going for flavor!
And actually, the looks weren’t too bad in the end! 🙂
Recipe for Mini Cashew Pumpkin Pies With My Mini Me
( Adapted from The Joy of Cooking recipe for Flaky Pie Crust)
- 2 and 1/2 cups organic flour
- 1 t. sugar
- 1 t. salt
- 1 cup shortening (I use Earth Balance Buttery Spread)
- 1/3 c. ice water
- 1 cup organic pumpkin puree (4 mini pumpkins made 1/2 cup filling, so supplement with canned pumpkin)
- 2 cups organic raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 1/8 t. ground ginger
- 1/8 t. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 t. ground cloves
- 1/2 t. salt
- Slice pumpkins in half, remove seeds and guts, and place upside down in baking pan.
- Add 1/2 c. water and bake at 400 for 30-45 minutes or until soft.
- While the pumpkin is baking, mix up the pie crust.
- Divide pie dough into 6 balls.
- Press each ball into the muffin tin.
- Scoop out cooked pumpkin and place in a blender.
- Add remaining pie filling ingredients to blender and blend well.
- Pour into pie shells and bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.
Don’t have cashews? Use these ingredients for the filling instead!
- 4 organic mini pie pumpkins (1/2 c. cooked pumpkin puree)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 T. almond cream (almond milk or soy milk would work too)
- 2 t. organic cinnamon
- 1/4 t. ground cloves
- dash ground ginger
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 c. organic flour
- 3/4 c. organic sugar