This yummy Leftover Roast Chicken Taco Salad Bar is one of our favorite Friday dinners. I set it up as a buffet so that everyone can serve themselves. Somehow, not having to set the table for dinner makes it feel like a break for me. Confession: I hate setting the table.
This recipe is almost identical to Dairy Free Taco Salad Bar, except that we’re using leftover roast chicken instead of taco meat. Yes, LEFTOVER roast chicken!
Get all that chicken off the bones and throw it into the slow cooker along with some spices and chicken stock! One hour (more or less) later, your seasoned chicken is ready!
I love chicken soft tacos, so any recipe resembling these flavors sounds good to me. You could say that this Leftover Roast Chicken Taco Salad Bar is the salad version of soft chicken tacos.
This is also a great way to use up those leftover organic tortilla chips that might be too ‘crumby’ to qualify as real chips. As you can see, I only had five ingredients total for this salad and it worked beautifully.
Avacado, cilantro, tomato, onion. . . would all be great too if you have them on hand. But they’re not necessary for a tasty salad.
- 3-4 cups leftover roast chicken, shredded or diced
- 4 teaspoons Organic Chicken Taco Seasoning ( Orgaic Chicken Taco Seasoning recipe; 4 teaspoons garlic powder, 3 teaspoons cumin, 2 teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon each oregano and dried onion flakes)
- 1 c. organic chicken stock
- juice of 1 organic lime
- organic lettuce or salad blend
- organic frozen corn, warmed
- leftover tortilla chips
- sliced olives
- avacado, tomato, onion, cilantro. . . whatever is on hand for a taco salad. . .
- Combine chicken, spices, stock, and lime juice in slow cooker.
- Cook on lowest setting for 1-5 hrs (or place ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 20-30 minutes).
- Serve with lettuce, organic corn, olives, tortilla chips, and anything else you like in a taco salad!