I absolutely LOVE fresh dill! Look how pretty it is! And of course, hello delicious aroma!!
One of my favorite ways to enjoy this delightful herb is with fish. I decided to make egg free fish cakes with fresh dill for dinner since it’s more economical than fish fillets. I had wild caught cod in the freezer and canned wild caught tuna in the pantry.
Since opening a can of tuna is slightly easier than thawing and broiling a fish fillet, the canned tuna won. 🙂
I use Wild Planet brand pole and troll caught wild albacore tuna. It has less than half the mercury content of other canned tuna brands. Having said this, we eat tuna VERY RARELY since it is generally high in mercury. We only eat about six cans over the course of a year so it’s really not much.
I love how Wild Planet tuna has such big chunks of meat too.
Because this recipe doesn’t contain any egg, the cakes only need to fry for 2 minutes total, making this a super easy and quick recipe!
- two 5 oz. cans tuna (or other cooked fish-great way to use leftover fried or broiled fish)
- 2 cups dry white bread or cracker crumbs (substitute chick pea flour for a gluten free version)
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 small turnip, diced (1/3 c.)
- 2 cups water
- juice from 1 lemon (about 2 T.)
- oil for frying
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Form into patties (@ 3 in. diameter and ¾ in. thick)
- Fry in hot oil for 1 minute on each side. Serve immediately.