15 years ago, my husband’s sister gave him a cookbook called Arabian Gulf Cookbook, by Suzi Wells. I’ve always felt intimidated about trying any recipes from this cookbook, but I finally took the plunge a few weeks ago. I had some beautiful eggplants in my Local Box, and really wanted to make baba ganoush. Sure enough, this recipe was in the cookbook HOWEVER. . ., I got sidetracked by all the other recipes in the cookbook. In particular, a recipe for Eggplant Sauce caught my eye. Let me just say, it was love at first bite! In fact, I’m so in love with this recipe that I’ve made four variations of it since then. This recipe for Savory Eggplant Sauce With Chicken Breasts And Spaghetti Squash is one of my two favorite variations. My other favorite is Socca with Eggplant Sauce, Asian Pears, Goat Cheese, And Mint. (Recipe for this one coming soon!)
But for now, we’ll start with Savory Eggplant Sauce With Chicken Breasts And Spaghetti Squash
4 chicken breasts
2 small-medium eggplants
2 T. oil
1 T. paprika
1 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. black pepper
2 T. tomato paste
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 t. salt
2 c. water
1/4 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Scoop out cooked eggplant.
2. Combine eggplant, garlic, salt in a blender, food processor, or mash with a potato masher.
3. Heat oil in skillet and cook chicken breasts.
4. Remove chicken breasts and add paprika, cumin, and black pepper, and tomato paste to pan.
5. Add eggplant mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add water and chicken breasts.
7. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes on very low heat.