A trip to visit my husband’s family in Iowa this Summer was the inspiration for these mini Dairy-Free Sausage Pockets. We wanted to get an early morning start on our 10-hr. drive to Madrid, Iowa, so that meant breakfast in the car.
Well, McDonald’s sausage biscuits kind of sounded good, but then I knew that once I ate one I would feel sort of ‘meh’. Plus I hate feeding my family McDonald’s food. It bugs me that is so devoid of nutrition! Plus, my daughter is allergic to the milk in their biscuits.
Homemade fast-food breakfast was the answer. And instead of simply making biscuits and putting a sausage patty in the middle, I decided to make it ‘fun’ (in honor of our road trip).
This is NOT one of my quick ‘n’ easy recipes. But it is fun and the kids LOVE these!
So first you bake the sausage.
Did you know you can bake ground sausage? Works like a charm! Just press 1 lb. of sausage into a 9×12 pan and bake at 375 for 20 minutes!
After it’s baked, cutting the sausage into squares with a pizza cutter is SOO fun!
Place the squares on paper towels to drain and cool while you mix up the biscuits.
I used my Organic, Dairy Free Biscuits recipe, but any recipe should work.
Divide the dough into two portions, roll out each into a rectangle, and cut into four strips (so you will have eight strips total)
Each strip needs to be about four inches wide. If it’s not wide enough, roll it out some more.
Place the sausage squares onto the strip of dough, leaving a finger-width between each square.
Fold over the dough and seal the edges.
Now for the fun part; squish between each square with your finger.
Once you’ve squished between every square, cut between each square with a pizza cutter- also super-fun!
Place each square on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
1/2 lb. organic ground breakfast sausage
1 biscuit recipe
- Spread breakfast sausage into a 9 x 12 inch baking pan. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 35 minutes or until cooked through.
- After the sausage has baked, remove from oven, cut into 16 squares with a pizza cutter (clever right?!).
- While the sausage is cooling, mix up the biscuits. Here is my favorite dairy-free biscuit recipe.
- Divide the biscuit dough into two portions.
- Roll out the first portion into a rectangle.
- Cut the rectangle into four strips-strips need to be 4 inches wide.
- Place squares of sausage, close to the front edge of the biscuit dough, a finger-width apart, on the dough.
- Fold dough over the sausage squares, smoosh between each sausage square with your finger to seal, and cut out each square with a pizza cutter.
- Place onto a baking sheet. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.