What do you get when you have potatoes, sweet onion, avocado, cilantro, and hot peppers in your Greenling Local Box? You get this yummy salad! Perfect for a summer BBQ side dish!
2 medium potatoes
2 t. salt
1/2 medium sweet onion
1 Anaheim pepper (the lighter colored variety-mild)
1 jalapeno pepper (the dark green ones-hot)
1 T. minced cilantro
1 juicy lime
2 T. water
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper
chili powder for garnish
cilantro for garnish
1. Fill a saucepan with water, add 2 t. salt and the potatoes. Boil for @ 35 minutes or until soft but still firm in center when tested with a fork.
2. Remove potatoes from water and allow to cool.
3. Finely chop the sweet onion.
4. Finely chop and seed the hot peppers.
5. Mince cilantro.
6. Peel potatoes and cut into small chunks.
7. Gently toss together the potatoes, onions, peppers, and cilantro (be careful not to mash the potatoes-I find it easiest to use my hands).
8. To make the avocado dressing, cut and seed the avocado.
9. Combine with juice from the lime, water, garlic, 1 t. salt, and black pepper in a blender or Vitamix and blend until smooth and creamy.
10. Just before serving, cut the tomato and toss gently with the potato mixture.
11. Add avocado dressing and toss gently to coat.
12. Garnish with chili powder and cilantro.
13. If you want to get really fancy (and non-vegan), sprinkle with a few slices of crumbled bacon! Makes it even yummier!
- Summer Salad Series: Cilantro Lime Shrimp Salad by Melissa Hargett (mhboostinternetsolution.wordpress.com)