Before you call me crazy. . . let me just say that this Beef Tallow Pizza Dough makes a crazy good pizza crust!
It’s also crazyEASY to make! Just flour, yeast, hot water, and beef tallow come together to make a tender, crisp, delicious, organic pizza crust!
One of the things I love about this recipe is that the dough turns out very soft. So even the kids can spread it on the pizza pans!
In fact, they sort of fought over who got to spread the pizza dough. I should have made three pizzas; one for each daughter– to avoid fighting.
The hardest part of this recipe is scooping the beef tallow into the measuring cup.
I buy my beef tallow from a local farm called Truth Hill Farm. Their cattle are 100% forage/grass-fed, so their fat is very nutritious.
While it’s healthy and inexpensive, beef tallow does have a distinct flavor. I think it’s much more mild than lard, so I prefer it for baking and frying. So far, my favorite ways to enjoy beef tallow are in this pizza crust recipe and for frying organic potatoes.
But anyway, back to the pizza crust recipe. . . Instead of softening the yeast in warm water, I just combine the yeast and flour.
Then add the water and beef tallow to the flour/yeast mixture.
Mix it, form it into two balls, and that’s it!
I’ve tried this recipe with spelt flour and it works beautifully as well. I prefer the flavor of white flour for pizza crust. Either wheat white or spelt white– both taste fantastic.
After the dough is mixed together, it should ideally rest for at least 10 minutes (up to a few hours), but I’ve also made it without ‘rest time’ and it works just fine! The crust just won’t come out quite as puffy.
After the dough is spread onto the pans, brush with olive oil just before baking. Bake in a super hot oven (500 degrees) for 10-15 minutes.
Top with favorite toppings, warm it up, and serve!
I use leftover spaghetti sauce for the pizza sauce. Tastes just like pizza sauce when it’s on a pizza! This pizza is one of our Friday night favorites!!
- 4 cups organic white flour
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- ½ cup grass-fed beef tallow
- 1 cup very warm water
- Combine flour and yeast in a large bowl.
- Add beef tallow to very warm water and stir to soften/melt the tallow.
- Add water/tallow mixture to flour/yeast mixture and mix well.
- Place dough onto floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into two portions, cover, and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Spread dough onto two oiled, large pizza pans.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes and brush with olive oil.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Top with favorite pizza toppings, heat, and serve!