Beets and beet greens really pack a punch when it comes to nutrition! Beet roots are high in several nutrients including iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, and B6. They’re extremely high in manganese and folate! Beet juice is perfect for doing a liver cleanse or detox as it stimulates circulation through the liver. And don’t we all just love their beautiful, vibrant color! Believe it or not, beets’ leafy green tops are even MORE nutritious than their roots! Yep, the greens surpass the roots in just about every mineral/vitamin except manganese and folate. Beet greens contain almost 50% RDA of vitamin A, 20% RDA of vitamin C, and drum roll. . . a whopping 190% RDA of vitamin K! Now go grab those beet greens and radishes, and let’s make a salad!
I love this salad because it looks fancy, but is so easy to throw together! My uncle and his wife were in town for dinner last week, so I wanted something easy, pretty, and delicious to serve with our sauerkraut and keilbasa. I prepped everything the day before, and then took just 10 minutes to plate the salad before serving the next day! I love how the the sweet and tangy yogurt dressing contrasts with the fresh, earthy flavors of the beets and radishes.
5 or 6 small roasted beets
1 bunch baby beet greens or any other type of fresh greens (if you’re using a tougher green like mature beet greens or kale, sautee for 5-10 minutes in 1 T. olive oil before serving)
4 small radishes
juice from 4 juicy limes, lemons, or use 1/3 c. wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup almond milk yogurt (post on how to make this coming soon!)
1/4 cup local honey
1/4 t. coarsely salt
1. Preheat oven to 325. Wash the beets. Place in greased baking pan.
2. Drizzle beets with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt.
3. Cover with foil and bake for @ 1 hr. (or until largest beet is soft in center when tested with fork).
4. While the beets are baking, whisk together the lime juice or vinegar, yogurt, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper. Set in refrigerator.
5. After roasted beets have cooled, peel and slice.
6. Wash and dry beet greens. Chop or break into bite sized pieces.
7. Wash and slice radishes.
8. Divide greens among 4 plates, top with radishes and beets.
9. Serve the chilled yogurt dressing on the side.