I don’t typically do a lot of baking; for a couple of reasons. The first reason is that I simply don’t like taking the extra time for it. I prefer to devote my ‘kitchen time’ to cooking the main meals or cleaning up the messes I make! And second, I try to avoid sweets, even homemade and organic ones!
But this time of year is an exception. Not only does the cold weather inspire warm, baked goodies but heck it’s almost Christmas! We had an ice storm yesterday, and the girls played outside in the frigid temps this morning. I HAD to make them some warm vegan cinnamon rolls to enjoy after they came inside.
Plus, if you serve these vegan cinnamon rolls as a late morning snack, say at 11:00 or so, and allow the kids to have two each, then they won’t need lunch- hypothetically.
Yeast rolls weren’t really an option since I definitely hadn’t planned ahead and definitely didn’t want to wait for them to rise. I decided to use my Organic Dairy Free Biscuit recipe as the base. Turns out biscuit dough makes very yummy cinnamon rolls! Plus the biscuit dough doesn’t have any sugar, so these have slightly less sugar than the classic yeast cinnamon roll recipes.
2 cups organic flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1/2 cup Earth Balance
1/2 cup rice milk
2 T. vinegar
3 T. Earth Balance
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 T. cinnamon
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 T. Earth Balance
1 t. vanilla
1 and 1/2 t. rice milk
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Add 1/2 t. milk if too thick.
Ice rolls while warm.
1. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. Add 1/2 c. butter and break with a fork until mixture is crumbly.
3. Add rice milk and vinegar. Mix quickly just until moistened.
4. Place dough on a floured surface and roll out to a rectangle, about 11 in. x 17 in. and 3/8 in. thick
5. Spread 3 T. butter on dough. Sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
5. Roll dough, pinch the ends, and cut into 1 in. thick rolls.
6. Place rolls in greased pie pan.
7. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven, on lowest rack, for 20 minutes. (Mix up the icing while they’re baking!)
8. Alow to cool for 5 minutes and pour icing on top.