Remember Hamburger Helper? I’ll admit it. . . I loved that stuff. However, thanks to my mother’s knowledge of healthy cooking, I think I only had it twice as a kid.
But its salty, mushy, nutritionally-void goodness stands out in my memory. . .
This 30 Minute Organic Macaroni With Savory Tomato Sauce and Sausage is a healthy, and dare I say TASTY version of Hamburger Helper.
And it really truly only takes 30 minutes to make!!
While the macaroni is cooking, fry the ground pork sausage in a skillet, remove from skillet and add tomato paste, chicken stock, and seasonings. That’s pretty much it!
The secret to this simple dish’s delicious flavor lies in 2 UMAMI techniques. . .
The tomato paste is ‘fried’ in leftover pork sausage fat (just 2 tablespoons or so), and the macaroni is cooked in chicken stock. These two simple tricks add a TON of flavor to this dish!
My kids request this meal regulary. In fact, they’ve asked that I replace our weekly encounter with spaghetti with this 30 Minute Organic Macaroni With Savory Tomato Sauce and Sausage.
And I am happy to oblige!
- 1 lb. organic macaroni
- 32 oz. organic chicken stock
- 1 lb. organic or locally raised ground pork sausage
- 6 oz. organic tomato paste
- 3 cups (or 4 cans) organic chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- dash ground black pepper
- Bring 32 oz. chicken stock to a boil, add macaroni, 1 teaspoon salt, and cook until softened.
- While macaroni is cooking. . .
- Place ground pork sausage in large skillet and cook until very dark brown. Remove from pan.
- Add 6 oz. can tomato paste to skillet and 'fry' the tomato paste for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken stock, garlic powder, salt, vinegar, and pepper to tomato paste and whisk.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Drain pasta. Add to tomato sauce and toss.
- Serve pasta immediately and top with cooked sausage.