“Mom, next time can you just make regular rice?” These were the words from my nine-yr.-old that inspired me to make this easy 30 Minute Baked Jasmine Sticky Rice (aka ‘regular’ rice)!
I make my Easy Tasty Turmeric Baked Rice frequently (since it’s SO delicious and SO easy!) But apparently, not everyone loves it as much as I do.
So per my nine-yr.-old’s request, this week I made ‘regular’ rice.
In the oven.
And it works like a charm!
I’m just so excited that I can BAKE my rice! I mean, what could be easier than pouring water and rice into a baking dish, covering with foil, and baking for 30 minutes? I love that my side dish can be baking while I’m cooking the main dish on the stovetop.
Ever since my sister sang the praises of jasmine rice a few years ago, it has been my go-to rice. The aroma and flavor just doesn’t compare to any other white rice (or brown rice).
Althought it isn’t technically a ‘sticky’ rice, it actually come out sticky in this recipe. I think this is due to the fact that it is essentially being steamed in the oven. It passes the chopsticks test. 🙂 In other words, it is sticky enough that I can eat it with chopsticks!
So we have rice baking in the oven on a busy weeknight. . . are you thinking what I’m thinking? Stir-fry, anyone? It takes about 30 minutes to chop and stir-fry veggies/meat. We eat stir-fry frequently- here’s one that uses Asian pears!
If you’re not in the mood for stir-fry, here are some other delicious ways to eat this 30 Minute Baked Jasmine Sticky Rice,
- make sushi (hahahahahahaha. . . yeah right!)
- make rice bowls- serve with freshly grated carrots, chopped cucumbers, scallions, meat (leftover roast chicken or beef, taco meat, etc. . . ), soy sauce, sesame seeds, etc. .
- serve it as an easy (albeit plain) side dish- top with soy sauce for a burst of flavor
- make these burritos
- 1 and ½ cups Jasmine rice
- 3 cups water
- Place rice and water in a shallow baking pan and stir to combine.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.